As well as the general risk assessment requirements set out in the Management Regulations, there is a requirement in the Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 (as amended) to carry out a risk assessment on manual handling tasks.
The manual handling risk assessment should include:
- The task being performed,
- The individual carrying out the manual handling operation,
- The load (s) being moved in the manual handling operation,
- The environment in which the manual handling operation is being conducted,
- The equipment being used.
The regulations demand that when your lifting and carrying activities present a significant risk, the employer has a duty to implement controls.
Your manual handling risk assessment will provide the information to put in place a safe system of work and amongst other issues will flag-up:
- Where a manual handling operation should use mechanical help
- Training requirements
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Health surveillance requirements for your manual handling operations
Fountain Safety Solutions Ltd will conduct manual handling risk assessment for you, just contact us for details.